No Christmas meal would be complete without a beautiful dessert. Though many diabetics think they need to skip out on this holiday decision, there is no need for that to occur when you make this delicious strawberry pie for your elderly loved one. Its beautiful red color will be a welcome addition to your dinner table while its fresh taste will make a beautiful way for your loved one to end the feast. Try this recipe, provided by the Colorado Springs senior care experts at Home Care Assistance.
1 pastry for single-crust pie
6 cups strawberries
1 cup water
3 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons cornstarch
red food coloring
fat-free frozen whipped dessert topping, thawed
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
2. Place pie shell in pan. Poke a few holes in the bottom and bake until golden brown. This will take about 12 minutes.
3. Wash the strawberries. Remove the stems and leaves.
4. Thinly slice the strawberries.
5. Place one cup of strawberries and one cup of water into food processor. Process until smooth.
6. Transfer mixture to medium saucepan. Bring mixture to a boil over medium heat.
7. Reduce heat and simmer for 2 minutes.
8. Add honey and cornstarch to strawberry mixture.
9. Cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes.
10. Remove from heat and add 4 or 5 drops of red food coloring.
11. Let mixture cool completely.
12. Fold in remaining strawberries gently. You need to add a little at a time so the honey mixture completely coats each piece.
13. Pour into pie shell. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
14. Cut into 8 pieces. Top each with a dollop of whipped topping.
15. Serve and enjoy.
The Christmas meal should be a wonderful time for everyone. This pie can be made several hours ahead, leaving you plenty of time to prepare the main course. Seniors with diabetes will be sure to rave about its wonderful taste without having to worry about it affecting their health. Your loved one will be sure to want you to make another one very soon.
For more information on nutritious and tasty foods seniors with diabetes can eat, reach out to Home Care Assistance. Our caregivers can assist with meal prep, grocery shopping, and many other tasks that can help your loved one live a happier and healthier life. To learn more about the respite and live-in care Colorado Springs seniors rely on, call (719) 822-1229 today.